SmartCare: Behavioral Health Consultation Services (BHCS)
SmartCare: Behavioral Health Consultation Services (BHCS) provides real-time consultation support to San Diego County’s primary care physicians, attempting to treat behavioral health issues within their practice. In addition, the program provides consultation and assistance to families needing support in accessing care and understanding the impact of behavioral health symptoms.
This innovative program helps to address the critical shortfall of psychiatric resources within the county by helping primary care providers enhance their competence, confidence, and capacity to identify and treat behavioral health issues within the primary care setting.
SmartCare BHCS partners with dozens of clinics, Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC community clinics), physician groups, and private practices throughout San Diego County with hundreds of physicians participating in this consultation program.
SmartCare BHCS Services
BHCS: Psychiatric Consultation to Primary Care
- Provide on-demand consultations to primary care providers regarding screening, diagnosis and treatment of behavioral health issues
- Develop and implement manageable screening protocols to help providers better assess patient needs
- On-site training of clinic staff and health providers regarding best practices for integrated behavioral health treatment
- e-Weekly newsletter providing brief and informative guidance on a variety of behavioral health care topics and application to primary care
BHCS “Ready for Health” Family Support Services
- Consultation availability for patients and family members seeking information about accessing behavioral health treatment within their primary care setting
- Recommendations, referral linkages, and follow-up to ensure families were able to access care
Wellness groups and community health presentations
- Introduction of basic screening tools to help patients effectively communicate their concerns to their primary care provider
SmartCare’s psychiatrists, clinicians and educators are standing by to provide real time consultation for providers and family members to help them identify and address behavioral health concerns and access needed resources.
In 2016, the program expanded to all primary care providers in San Diego.
For More Information or Referral
Physician provider phone number: 858-880-6405
Families, please call 858-956-5900
Who is Eligible?
Any person receiving medical care at from our partnering clinics, FQHC community clinics, physician groups, and practices. Eligible physician practices are those who accept MediCal funding although it is not required for a specific patient to be funded by MediCal. All SmartCare services are provided free of charge to the patient and the clinic/provider group. SmartCare’s services are paid under contract with the County of San Diego, Behavioral Health Services.
Outcomes in 2015
- SmartCare BHCS provided consultations on behalf of approximately 1,200 patients annually with dozens of physician groups and practices enrolled and hundreds of participating providers.
- SmartCare BHCS provides health and wellness forums to approximately 1,500 county residents annually.
- In 2016, the program has been expanded through a new County contract to include all primary care providers in San Diego with consultation and family support services now available to youth, teens, adults and older adults.