Vista Hill’s PROMOTE! program seeks to further the educational progress and well-being of school students between 3 to 8 years of age that are at risk for developing problem behaviors and mental health conditions. PROMOTE! is a three-way partnership of Vista Hill, Escondido Union Elementary School District and the County of San Diego – Behavioral Health Services.
Our PROMOTE! Program has two main components:
- Incredible Students – An evidence based approach to screening, service recommendations and participation in the Incredible Years social-emotional prevention curriculum.
- Parent Connect – Parent peer model to reach out to the families of children identified as being at-risk. Parents may receive education, training and support, resource referrals and participation in the student’s education.
PROMOTE! staff are comprised of master’s level mental health clinicians and parent engagement specialists using a Promotora community model.
Who is Eligible?
Escondido Union Elementary School District students identified by the District social workers.
Goals and Measures:
- Screen 100% of enrolled children kindergarten through 3rd grade at 12 targeted schools in the Escondido Union School District with the Walker-McConnell Scale of Social Competence and School Adjustment.
- Provide classroom based Incredible Years (evidence-based curriculum) Dinosaur School curriculum in weekly lessons to 30% of enrolled k-3rd grade children.
- Provide Incredible Years Small Group services to 30% of moderate risk screened students in k-3rd grade. Demonstrate 70% behavioral improvement on Walker-McConnell Scale.
- Provide Incredible Years Parent Education to 550 parents and demonstrate 70% improvement using the Parenting Stress Index.
- Screen Parents for Prevention and Early Intervention needs (District Screen)
- Provide Family Engagement services to 1,500 families and help them connect with resources and ready their children to learn.
- Confirm positive outcomes – connection to resource, improved grades, improved behavior.
- Measure Satisfaction with services.
- Provided weekly Classroom Dinosaur instruction to 2,500 students
- Provided booster services to 1,400 additional students
- Over 4,000 students received instruction in social emotional skill education.
868 students participated 520 students improved behavior
Parent Education and Resource Connection:
- 846 parents participated in Education Services with 94-98% satisfaction and 76% with reduced Parenting Index Scores
- More than 1,500 parents received support to help ready their children for school through our Family Engagement Specialists resource support with 98% satisfaction
January through June: 3,240 July through December: 5,960