SmartCare BH Connect
SmartCare BHConnect is an innovative telemental health program that is specifically designed to engage chronically unconnected patients as they are discharging from an emergency setting. We eliminate barriers to treatment by providing patients with telehealth devices and technical training to make accessing services easy. Our aim is to provide consistent care and connection as we support our patients through stabilization and recovery, and ultimately reduce acute episode recidivism.
We are short-term telemental health and linkage program. We value an integrated approach and collaboration with our community partners to improve the overall health and wellbeing of our patients. We receive referrals from hospitals, crisis response teams, regional crisis centers, County outpatient clinics and case management programs.
Clients receive a smart phone or tablet with data, uploaded with our encrypted telehealth platform, contact information, therapeutic and practical applications such as Maps, Mail, Calendar, Insight Timer and OscER. Our IT Specialist provides technical training to build client’s confidence with technology and improve daily functioning. Service components also include:
- Onsite warm hand-offs, community and home-based intakes.
- Individual and Family Teletherapy for an average duration of 6 months until they are linked to long-term services. If clinically indicated, periodic in-person services are offered.
- Rehab Counseling/skills education such as parenting support, coping strategies, vocational, etc. Periodic in-person rehab sessions are offered.
- Case management and resource linkage.
- Medication management for youth up to age 21 through our partnership with the Center for Child & Youth Psychiatry. Adults are referred to a community partner for psychiatry.
- Regular check-ins by a Health Navigator, especially post-discharge from acute care.
- After-hour medical call service for urgent/emergent triage and referral.
- Evening and weekend availability.
- Frequency and length of sessions are based on client needs.
- Clients may pause and return to services anytime.
- Clients access services anywhere without the commute, and may use our device our their own.
- We also serve siblings and immediate family members!
SmartCare BHConnect provides a team of bilingual Licensed and Associate Therapists, Health Navigators (case managers/rehab specialists) with lived-experience and evidence-based training: SBIRT, CBT, DBT, Trauma-Informed Care, grief counseling, Relapse Prevention, Triple P Positive Parenting, and more. Clients are engaged by the BHConnect team in a personal and caring way and provided a pathway through technology to stay connected.
Who is Eligible?
We serve clients with significant mental health and recovery needs who have demonstrated difficulty in sustaining engagement with treatment recommendations upon discharge from an emergency setting.
- All ages. Children, adults and their families.
- Medi-Cal beneficiaries, under or uninsured
- Resident of San Diego County.
- Moderate to severe and/or co-occurring mental health needs.
- Client desires services and is unconnected to any other behavioral provider.
- Client is not actively homicidal/suicidal, is lucid, oriented and able to engage in talk therapy.
- Able to use, store and charge a telehealth device.
- Discharging from an emergency provider within the last 90 days.
For More Information or Referral
SmartCare BHConnect is funded by San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency through the Mental Health Services Act as an Innovations project.
Vista Hill SmartCare BHConnect
8825 Aero Drive Suite 315, San Diego, CA 92123
Interested in becoming a partner? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org